Welcome to the International Law Section of the California Lawyers Association. We are dedicated to furthering the knowledge of our members in a wide variety of areas, including corporate and business transactions, immigration, litigation, and arbitration, tax, regulatory and trade matters, bankruptcy, intellectual property and family law.
We are looking for a CYLA Liaison for the International Law Section!
The CYLA Liaison acts as a conduit between ILS and the California Young Lawyers Association (CYLA); helps develop content, programs, and events for law students and young attorneys focused on a full range of international legal issues; and reports progress back to the International Law Section Executive Committee.
Here is what to expect:
▶Duties to CYLA
- Prepare for, actively participate in, and attend all CYLA meetings (executive committee conference calls, in person and long-range planning meetings and CYLA events)
- Absences should be conveyed in sufficiently in advance of the meeting to CYLA’s chair and section coordinator
- Act as a conduit between CYLA and the section
- Update the CYLA executive committee and Chair on section activities for new lawyers
- Participate in the success of CYLA by
- planning at least 1 CYLA webinar each year utilizing section and other experts to be speakers; and
- writing or obtaining at least 1 article each year for CYLA publications (either for newsletters or self-study MCLE credit)
- Serve on at least 1 CYLA committee per year, as assigned or requested, and help fulfill the specific duties of that committee
- Attend the swearing-in ceremonies for your community, or a nearby legal community, when possible
▶Duties to the Section
- Participate in section executive committee meetings per the culture of the section
- Represent CYLA and new lawyer needs at the section executive committee
- Explore and cultivate opportunities for new lawyers to get involved in and meaningfully participate in the section
- Serve on section committees (at the Section Liaison’s discretion, if you have the time and bandwidth after meeting other duties)
Please indicate your interest in the Section Liaison role in your email and statement of interest. All applicants must be active California attorneys within their first eight years of practice, and Section Liaisons must additionally be active members of the CLA Section to which they are applying. Please disregard all deadlines in the PDF itself.
Please submit your applications to Nikki Smith at Nikki.Smith@calawyers.org no later than July 10, 2020.
Foreign Bar Associations
The ILS collaborates with a number of foreign bars to produce educational programs, provide opportunities for CLA members to engage with foreign peers and to promote the rule of law throughout the world. Learn More
International Law Section
The California Lawyers Association
400 Capitol Mall, Suite 650
Sacramento, CA 95814
The International Law Section is a State Bar of California-approved MCLE provider.