The International Law Section was founded in 1987 to serve California lawyers handling international legal matters in a wide variety of areas, including corporate and business transactions, immigration, litigation and arbitration, tax, regulatory and trade matters, bankruptcy, intellectual property and family law. In 2020 the Section name was changed to The International Law and Immigration Section in recognition of the Section’s past activity in this area, as well as the importance of the movement of people in all aspects of international law.
The Section organizes programs and events around the state, as well as publishes and distributes two key publications — The California International Law Journal, features in-depth treatment of important practice topics, forms of agreements used in international practice, and other information of interest to cross-border practitioners, and an online law newsletter, ILS NEWS, sent quarterly to ILS members via e-mail. It is designed to keep members up to date about international legal developments in transnational commercial and public law, as well as Section activities.
Membership is open to California lawyers as well as to attorneys and other interested professionals and students worldwide.
The International Law and Immigration Section is a diverse membership dedicated to facilitating global and domestic outreach by California lawyers to attorneys, students and the public on international laws, cross-border issues and legal systems; and contributing to a dialogue between members of the State Bar of California and those of attorneys from other nations.
ILS Mission goals include:
- Educating practitioners from all fields of law, and at all levels of experience, on international principles, laws, treaties and conventions, including trends and new developments on cross border issues.
- Implementing expansion of the rule of law and human rights and respect for differing cultural and social values.
- Coordinating international relations among foreign and domestic bar associations to share developments in law and diplomacy, and to expand a network of resources for particular fields of law for use and access by members of the State Bar of California and the public through its Friendship Agreement program.
- Mentoring young lawyers and law students in California and abroad to practice international law and contribute to the field.
- Fostering awareness of diversity in legal systems and justice in other countries.
- Promoting the California legal community as a resource to legal communities in other countries.
- Facilitating the exchange of ideas among practitioners and scholars who are involved in international law.
- Providing professional networking opportunities for practitioners in various areas of international law.
Benefits of Joining ILS
ILS members enjoy the following benefits:
- Fastcase legal research – Free access to powerful service that puts a comprehensive, nationwide law library at your fingertips (valued at $995/year).
- Membership rate to the CLA Annual Meeting, Solo Summit, and other distinguished CLA events.
- The California International Law Journal subscription – features in-depth treatment of important practice topics, forms of agreements used in international practice, and other information of interest to cross-border practitioners.
- ILS NEWS – designed to keep members up to date about international legal developments in transnational commercial and public law, as well as Section activities.
- Lexology feeds subscription – source of international legal updates, analysis and insights authored by national and international law firms. If you have previously unsubscribed and would like to resubscribe, please update your preferences here.
- Get high-quality MCLE content online in the format that works best for you: live webinars, on-demand video, downloadable podcasts, and self-study articles.
- 6.5 free hours of self-study MCLE Credit and one hour of free MCLE each month in the form of a webinar.
- Up-to-date California legislation tracking
- Access to CLA Career Center.
- Exclusive discounted offers on house appliances, car rentals and more at CalBar Connect.
- You also have the opportunity to:
- Participate in the active work of the International Law and Immigration Section through its various committees.
- Speak at or help organize International Law and Immigration Section programs.
- Contribute articles to International Law and Immigration Section publications.
We invite you to Join the Section!
International Law and Immigration Section
The California Lawyers Association
400 Capitol Mall, Suite 650
Sacramento, CA 95814
The International Law and Immigration Section is a State Bar of California-approved MCLE provider.