2020 Solo and Small Firm Excellence Awards
The Section annually recognizes solo and small firm practitioners with the Section’s Excellence in Practice and Excellence in Service awards. The honorees are recognized and celebrated annually at the Solo and Small Firm Summit. The individuals selected as award recipients must be able to attend the Excellence Awards Reception in-person.
2020 Nomination Deadline: July 31, 2020
- Sponsor the 2020 Excellence Awards Reception.
- Learn about the past award recipients today!
- Look back at the 2019 Solo and Small Firm Summit.
Excellence in Practice Award
The Solo and Small Firm Section of the California Lawyers Association presents its Excellence in Practice Award to honor a solo or small firm attorney, who has demonstrated exemplary leadership and dedication to the legal profession and has contributed to the betterment of the practice of law. To learn more about the criteria for this award, download the nomination here.
Deadline: March 15, 2020
Excellence in Practice Award Criteria
- Demonstrated leadership and dedication to the legal profession
- Contributes to the positive image of the legal
profession, for example:
- Practices law in a highly ethical manner
- Is well regarded by peers
- Demonstrates a strong sense of commitment to the profession
- Achieved exceptional accomplishments in the
practice of law or made a significant, positive impact on the practice of law,
- Was an instrumental in the passage of legislation
- Authored or co-authored an amicus brief that was submitted on a matter of legal significance
- Tried a significant case
- Brought a significant case of the Court of Appeal or California or United States Supreme Court
- Created or helped further a new or novel practice area or way to practice law
Excellence in Service Award
The Solo and Small Firm Section of the California Lawyers Association presents its Excellence in Service Award to honor a solo or small firm attorney who has devoted significant service to the public and/or legal community. To learn more about the criteria for this award, download the nomination here.
Deadline: March 15, 2020
Excellence in Service Award Criteria
- Devoted significant service and made a
significant, positive impact on the legal community and/or public, for example:
- Made outstanding contributions to a professional legal organization
- Mentored solo, small fir, and/or young lawyers
- Engaged in activism for a special cause (e.g., diversity in the legal profession or legal education)
- Engaged in significant pro bono work
- Served a legal or non-legal non-profit (i.e., a charitable, cultural, humanitarian, or educational cause) in a significant capacity
Solo and Small Firm Section Attorney of the Year Award
The Attorney of the Year Award was replaced with the Excellence in Practice Award and Excellence in Service Award starting in 2019. Click here for a list of past recipients for the Solo and Small Firm Section Attorney of the Year Award.