By CLA President Jeremy M. Evans
In recent weeks, President Evans has been on the road with CEO and Executive Director Oyango A. Snell, meeting with various legal organizations to build relationships and highlight what the California Lawyers Association can do for them.
We have had the pleasure to get to know folks from the Fresno County Women Lawyers Association, Fresno County Bar Association, San Joaquin College of the Law, and President Evans presented on NCAA Name, Image, and Likeness at the State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting in Houston and met his counterpart, the president of the State Bar of Texas, Laura Gibson.
What we have learned is that there is so much opportunity to collaborate. CLA’s advocacy work amplifies the voices of lawyers dedicated to a common mission of promoting excellence in the legal profession and simply supporting and highlighting the great work that lawyers do for their clients and the community. By bringing together people in various corners of the legal profession, we can help fill gaps in the good work being done by local and affinity bar associations.
We are looking to expand this outreach. If you would like to schedule a visit to your law firm, law school, or bar association, please let us know. We would welcome the chance to join forces, collaborate, and share ideas.
We hope you are making the most of your CLA membership. Here are highlights of recent and upcoming events:
- Our Health and Wellness Committee kicked off a free, six-week Walking Challenge on June 18.
- Our Solo and Small Firm Summit brought members together in a virtual environment on June 16 and 17. We look forward to hosting an in-person event next year in beautiful Huntington Beach, California.
- CLA submitted an amicus brief to the U.S. Supreme Court, asking the court to protect attorney-client privilege.
- The Litigation Section invites you to attend a Week in Legal London from Oct. 16–22. Sign up soon to guarantee your spot.
- CLA shared additional findings from a groundbreaking 2020 research project showing what employers can do to improve the mental and physical health of attorneys.
- CLA and the California Judges Association are planning a black-tie gala on Sept. 17 in San Diego. David Wallace (Andy Buckley) from NBC’s hit show, The Office, will emcee.
- The Environmental Law Section hosts the 31st annual Environmental Law Conference at Yosemite® Oct. 13-16.
- Please save the date: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 5:00-6:30 p.m. PST, via Zoom, “How to Become a Judge?” with some amazing speakers. President Evans will moderate the virtual panel.
Thank you for being a CLA member. Enjoy the summer and take the opportunity for a well-deserved vacation and to spend time with your loved ones, family, friends, and colleagues. We hope to see you soon at one of your events, a CLA event, or an outreach visit soon!