Wednesday, May 29, 2019
Earn 3 Hours of MCLE Credit!
Two Fantastic Locations – Live in Los Angeles, Telecast in San Francisco
JAMS International Arbitration Center
555 W 5th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90013
JAMS San Francisco
Two Embarcadero Center
San Francisco, CA 94111
Online registration is now closed. Onsite registration is available.
8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. | Registration and MCLE Sign-In
8:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. | Continental Breakfast
9:00 a.m. – 9:15 a.m. | Introductions and Welcome
- George Wailes, Vice Chair, Litigation Section
- Chris Poole, CEO, JAMS, Los Angeles
9:15 a.m. – 10:45 a.m. | Strategic Guide to International Commercial Arbitration Agreements
This panel illuminates when clients should use international commercial arbitration agreements, and what provisions these agreements should include concerning choice of law, forum selection, selection of arbitrators, discovery, interim relief and enforcement of awards. Understanding the implications of these choices is crucial for clients, and their lawyers.
Moderator: Ana M. Sambold, Sambold Law & ADR Services, Co-Chair, ADR Committee, Litigation Section, San Diego
- Laura Abrahamson, AECOM, Los Angeles
- Gary Benton, Silicon Valley Arbitration & Mediation Center, Palo Alto
- Barbara Reeves, JAMS, Los Angeles
- Professor Thomas Stipanowich, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine School of Law, Malibu
10:45 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. | Break
15 minute break.
11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. | Effective Advocacy in International Commercial Arbitrations
International commercial arbitrations may include multiple decision-makers, often foreign nationals. Your opponent may be a member of the bar of the United Kingdom or another jurisdiction. These proceedings present potentially unique challenges to California trial lawyers. This panel will address effective oral and written advocacy before international neutrals. The panel will also discuss how to control expenses in these proceedings; strategic approaches to discovery; and how best to achieve your client’s goals.
Moderator: Neil A. Smith, FedARB, American Arbitration Association, Co-Chair, ADR Committee, Litigation Section, San Francisco
- Sally Harpole, Arbitrator, Hong Kong and San Francisco
- Grant Kim, LimNexus LLP, San Francisco
- Christian Leathley, Herbert Smith Freehills, New York, New York
- Hon. James Ware (Ret.), U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, JAMS, San Francisco
12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. | Hosted Networking Lunch
- $65 for Non-Litigation Section Members
- $40 for Current Litigation Section Members
- $15 for Students/CYLA
In order to pre-register, your form and payment to the California Lawyers Association must be received by Wednesday, May 22, 2019.
How to Register
- Register Online – Online Registration is now closed.
- Mail to Program Registrations at:
Program Registrations, California Lawyers Association
400 Capitol Mall, Suite 650
Sacramento, CA 95814
- Email to ProgramRegistrations@CAlawyers.org. In order to email your registration, credit card information is MANDATORY. (Photocopoies of checks will NOT be accepted.)
- On-site registration will be on a space available basis. Call to confirm space availability.
Cancellations and requests for refunds must be received in writing no later than Wednesday, May 22, 2019 and are subject to a $50 service charge. Refunds will not be available after May, 22, 2019.
For registration information please call 916-516-1757. For information regarding the program please call 916-516-1750.
For special assistance, please call 916-516-1750.
On-site registration will be on a space available basis. Call to confirm space availability.
Registrants will receive a USB storage device with an electronic version of all program materials the day of the conference. Before the Conference, Registrants will receive a link with information on how to review and download the program materials. It may be helpful to review a program’s reference material before the class. This website is not available to the public, and access is given only to Conference registrants. Late-breaking supplemental materials not available before the Conference will be added at a later date.
Thank You to Our Sponsors
Platinum Sponsor: JAMS
- California International Arbitration Council, Inc.
- Pepperdine Law
- Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution
- Silicon Valley Arbitration & Mediation Center
This event may be recorded. By attending this event, you consent to be photographed, filmed, and/or otherwise recorded, and to any use, by the CLA, of your likeness, voice, and name in any and all media including social media. If you do not want your name or photo to be used, please let us know in advance. We cannot, however, honor requests to opt out of the use of your image or voice if you choose to ask a question during one of the event sessions.