Public Law Journal: Winter 2019, Vol. 42, No. 1
- 2018-2019 Executive Committee of the Public Law Section
- 2018-2019 Public Law Journal Editorial Board
- An Upside to City of Upland: Clarification on the Ability to Refer Majority-Vote Budget Trailer Bills
- Litigation & Case Law Update
- Message from the Chair
- The Ag's Opposition to Lay Representation in Alj Cases: Bad Law, Bad Policy
- Public Law Section Conference on Law Enforcement's Use of Force Well Received
Public Law Section Conference on Law Enforcement’s Use of Force Well Received
By Bonnie C. Maly
Bonnie C. Maly is CEB’s liaison to the Public Law Section’s Executive Committee. Before working for CEB, she was a litigator on real property and business disputes in Contra Costa County for more than 15 years.
On January 24, 2019, over one hundred California attorneys and law students attended a new program of the Public Law and Litigation Sections of the California Lawyers Association (CLA), "Law Enforcement: Use of Force and Liability Conference," at the University of California Berkeley School of Law. This new program provided a unique set of panels that ventured beyond the realm of traditional programs that primarily emphasize case law and statutory requirements. For those Public Law Section members who missed it, this fascinating and timely program was recorded by video and will soon be available on the CLA website as an OnDemand program.
Vice Dean Charles Cannon of UC Berkeley School of Law gave welcoming remarks and provided a brief update on the expansion of the school’s pro bono programs emphasizing that, in the legal profession, "public service is paramount."