California Lawyers Association
A Strategic Vision for the Future
By Oyango A. Snell
CEO and Executive Director
An American jazz pianist, Pete Johnson, once stated that “strategy is a style of thinking, a conscious and deliberate process, an intensive implementation system, the science of ensuring future success.” Simply put, a strategic plan is the roadmap to achieving organizational success. Without strategic vision, an association can continue to wonder about and miss the mark of producing high-quality services to its members and key stakeholders.
When I joined CLA, just four months ago, I stated that one of my top priorities is to ensure that CLA is viewed as the premiere voluntary bar association of choice for California attorneys. With that in mind, I am excited to announce that the CLA Board of Representatives adopted CLA’s first strategic plan on March 25, 2022, which will serve as our roadmap to achieving organizational success and strengthening our voice to represent the California legal community.
Our strategic vision is Section and member-centric, industry-focused, supported by our mission, and grounded in six pillars:
- Leverage the history, experience, and expertise of CLA Sections to establish strong recognition of the CLA brand, by being the leading voice and convener for the legal profession in California.
- Establish long-term financial sustainability by increasing non-dues revenue and retaining members in partnership with CLA Sections.
- Grow paid CLA membership year-over-year, in partnership with CLA Sections, and increase engagement among members.
- Deliver exceptional member experiences that enhance professional capabilities.
- Champion diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in the California legal community through training, advocacy, affinity bar partnerships, and education, to positively impact the future of the profession.
- Strengthen and unify the CLA Community to create a culture of collaboration and partnership, while respecting the unique strengths and supporting the work of our CLA Sections.
While the six pillars will serve as the roadmap to success, executing CLA’s strategic vision will require a collective effort by our Professional Team, our Board of Representatives, and our Section leaders. The next phase in this process will include developing key goals and metrics that will help measure our success. However, no matter our goals and tactics, collaboration is the key to advancing CLA’s strategic plan and will help turn strategic thinking into action, and words into results. I look forward to working with you!