The Executive Committee of the Public Law Section of the California Lawyers Association is pleased to announce that it is soliciting nominations for the 2022 Ronald M. George Public Lawyer of the Year Award. Every year, the Public Law Section presents this award to recognize a public law practitioner who has provided outstanding service to the public and possesses an exemplary reputation in the legal community and the highest of ethical standards. In 2008, the Public Law Section named the award in honor of now-retired Chief Justice Ronald M. George in recognition of his distinguished career dedicated to serving the public and longtime support of the Section. The Executive Committee is honored to invite members of the Public Law Section, the State Bar and the public at large to submit nominations for the Ronald M. George Public Lawyer of the Year Award.
The Executive Committee supports the goal of diversity in the membership and leadership of the State Bar. As such, promoting and achieving diversity is considered carefully in selecting an outstanding member of the State Bar who practices public law as the Ronald M. George Public Lawyer of the Year.
To be eligible, a nominee must meet the following criteria:
- Be a member of the State Bar of California with an exemplary record; and
- Have at least five years of recent, continuous practice in public law in California
The following factors may be considered by the Executive Committee in its selection of the recipient of the Public Lawyer of the Year Award:
- Demonstrated commitment of the nominee to the practice of public law
- Use of innovative or creative problem-solving by the nominee in the practice of public law
- Exceptional accomplishments by the nominee in the practice of public law
- Provisions of legal services by the nominee to the public above and beyond what which is considered ordinary.
To nominate and individual for this award, please submit the following:
- Nomination Form (For the PDF version of the form, click here)
- Nominator’s Statement of Nomination
- Nominee’s Resume or Biography (indicating the nominee’s principal areas of practice, the number of years of practice, professional achievements, and other features of his or her career, such as community involvement and bar association activities.)
- Letter(s) of Support (no more than five)
Nominations and supporting materials must be received no later than May 1, 2023, by e-mail or by completing the online fillable form below, at:
Ronald M. George Public Lawyer of the Year Award
Attn: Public Law Section Section Coordinator
400 Capitol Mall Suite 650
Sacramento CA 95814