The Executive Committee of the Public Law Section of the California Lawyers Association is pleased to announce that it is soliciting nominations for the Outstanding Achievement in Public Law (OAPL) Award. This award recognizes an individual or team for a recent exceptional accomplishment that has improved the lives of Californians through the representation of a local, state, or federal government entity. Achievements may be wide and varied! For example, they could include a precedent-setting court victory, guiding a public entity through a particularly challenging process, or assisting California residents during an emergency event. The Executive Committee is honored to invite members of the Public Law Section, the State Bar, and the public at large to submit nominations for the annual OAPL award.
The Public Law Section supports the goal of diversity in its membership and leadership. As such, the Public Law Section encourages nominations that represent California’s diversity, including people of color, women and LGBTQ people.
The deadline for nominations is May 1, 2022.
To be eligible, a nomination must meet the following criteria:
- Include at least one member of the State Bar of California; and
- The nominee(s) must have achieved a recent legal victory that has improved the lives of Californians through the representation of a government entity or represented or advised a government entity through a particularly challenging matter or process.
The Executive Committee may consider the following factors when selecting the recipient(s) of award:
- Whether the achievement resulted in benefits to Californians extending beyond the public entity represented.
- Whether the achievement required a commitment to public law above and beyond what is ordinarily expected.
- Use of innovative or creative problem-solving by the nominee(s).
To nominate an individual or team for this award, please submit the following:
- Nomination Form (For the PDF version of the form, click here)
- Nominator’s Statement of Nomination
- Letter(s) of Support (no more than five)
Nominations and supporting materials must be received no later than May 1, 2022, by e-mail or by completing the online fillable form below, at:
Public Law Section Section Coordinator