The Annual Meeting of the IP Law Section
Thursday-Saturday, November 14-16, 2019
Las Vegas, Nevada
Earn up to 12.5 hours California and Nevada CLE credits (including Ethics, Competence, and Elimination of Bias)
Book your hotel room now before spaces fill up! Hotel deadline is October 15, 2019
Letter from the Chair
The practice of intellectual property law is global and diverse. Our clients’ IP needs are not confined to a particular state, or even a particular country. Our clients are business owners, innovators, creators, and artists. Their work regularly crosses state line, so why shouldn’t we? Welcome to IP Without Borders, the 44th IP Institute at the spectacular Wynn Las Vegas!
We have a fantastic line up of programming and events scheduled for you all. We are fortunate and excited to bring together preeminent speakers from leading companies, government, and law firms to share their tips and tricks. With 12.5 hours of MCLE credits – including bias, competency, and ethics – we promise to keep you current on legal developments and trends in IP law. We have also incorporated some outstanding networking opportunities throughout the conference. Read More
Thursday, November 14, 2019
Prosecution for New Attorneys?
- Speaker: TJ Singh; Klein, O’Neill & Singh, LLP
How to best utilize TESS for trademark clearance and prosecution
- Speaker: Pete Bromaghim; Womble Bond Dickinson (US) LLP
- Licensing: What are the key terms of a license agreement?
- Speaker: Kevin DeBre; Stubbs Alberton & Markiles, LLP
- Copyright: What are the key terms of a work-for-hire agreement?
- Speaker: Carmen Aviles, Hopkins & Carley | A Law Corporation
6:00pm-8:00pm– Top Golf Las Vegas Welcome Reception! (Hosted Food and Drink)
Friday, November 15, 2019
9:00am-10:00am: General Session- Beating the Odds: Tips from the House and IP Litigation
- Judge Andrew P. Gordon, ESDC Nevada
- Judge Phillip M. Pro (Ret.), Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services
- Andrew Stroud, Hanson Bridgett, Moderator
- Are the House Odds for Baccarat Really that Different at the EPO than the Patent Trial and Appeal Board?
- Albert Keyack, Killburn & Strode in D.C.
- Tom Leonard, Kilburn & Strode in London
- What Happens in the EU doesn’t stay in the EU: Is California Consumer Policy Act the new General Data Protection Regulation?
- Zerina Curevac, Eaze
- Catherine Gellis, Attorney/Outside Policy Counsel
- Christine Lyon, Morrison & Forrester
- Lorrie Ma, Uber
Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet: Litigating Pharmaceutical Trade Secrets Cases
- Sarah Brooks, Venable
- Jayashree Mitra, Zuber Lawler & Del Duca LLP
- So You Thought it was a License
- Tal Grinblat, Lewitt Hackman
- Dawn Newton, Donahue Fitzgerald
- Lunch & Roundtable Topics
- Is Doubling down on Artificial Intelligence and Big Data Patents a Safe Bet or a Gamble?
- Yoon Chae, Baker McKenzie
- Andrea Jeffries, Jones Day
- Jeff Risher, Tesla;
- It’s Showtime! Enforcing IP rights in China
- Devon Beckwith, Stussy
- Jason Yao, Wanhuida Peksung (Beijing, China);
- Be the Block: Blockchain and Smart Contract Patents and Licenses
- Pem Guerry, SIGNix;
- Dave Randall, Brooks Kushman;
- Bridget Smith, Knobbe
- The Show Must Go On: Entertainment Agreements in the Live Entertainment Industries
- Jennifer Ko Craft, Dickinson Wright PLLC
- Mark G. Tratos, Founding Shareholder, Greenberg Traurig, LLP;
4:20pm-5:50pm: Ethics Program- Play to Win: Professional Responsibility and Practice Before the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Legal Ethics MCLE Credit
- Speaker: William Covey, United States Patent and Trademark Office
6:00pm-8:30pm: Vanguard Awards Dinner
- Hosted by: Tsan Abrahamson, Cobalt LLP
Saturday, November 16, 2019
9:00am-10:00am: General Session- Winning Together: A Conversation about Courageous Collaboration and Implicit Bias
- Elimination of Bias MCLE Credit
Speaker: Dana Tippin Cutler, James W. Tippin & Associates
- No Limit! The Extraterritorial Reach of Patent Damages
- Speaker: Jenny L. Colgate, Partner, Rothwell Figg Ernst & Manbeck; Andrew Michaels, University of Houston Law Center
- Let’s Roll the Dice!: Understanding the
Legalities of Lootboxes and Microtransactions
- Speaker: Sean Kane, Frankfurt Klein & Selz; Chrissie Scelsi, Wargaming, Inc.
- Win, Lose, or Draw: Managing Patent Due Diligence
and Licensing in M&A Transactions
- Speaker: Jill Bowman, Intel Corporation; Carrie Le Roy, Gibson, Dunn, and Crutcher LLP
- Avoiding the Crap Out: How IP Intersects with Employment, Estate,
and Bankruptcy Laws
- Speaker: Nannina Angioni, Kaedian LLP; Charles Kolstad, Withers Worldwide; Robyn Sokol, Brutzkus Gubner
12:30pm-2:00pm- Speed Networking Lunch
2:05pm-3:05pm: General Session- Meet Me at The Buffet: Food and IP
- Beatrice Martinet, Sideman
- Mark Leonard, Jelly Belly Candy Company
3:10pm-4:10pm: Competence Program- Competence and Mindful Lawyering
- Competency Issues MCLE Credit
- Speaker: Mark Fingerman, ADR Services, Inc.
4:10pm-4:30pm: Raffle & Closing
Saturday Evening: Optional Group Activity!
Mob Museum Tour (Separate Registration Fee Required)
*For additional information please visit the website
Questions? Contact Heather Antoine, Chair 44th IP Institute