OVERVIEW. The Real Property Law Journal (“Journal”) of the Real Property Law Section of the California Lawyers Association is California’s preeminent statewide scholarly publication for real estate attorneys. The Journal features scholarly articles written by real property professionals about cutting edge and interesting topics. It is typically published four times each year and has a readership of over six thousand real property professionals.
ISSUE ON DIVERSITY. The Real Property Law Section is committed to diversity. As part of our diversity objectives, Issue 4 of the Journal, which will be published in December 2021, is devoted to diversity (“Diversity Publication”). The issue will cover the following broad topics among others:
- Increasing diversity and/or promoting inclusion in the legal field (this can include, for example, success stories from hiring partners of law firms and in-house counsel on hiring and retaining diverse professionals);
- Identifying and navigating barriers to entry in the legal field (this can include, for example, a lack of representation in executive positions or as partners in firms); or
- Perspectives on substantive areas of property law from members of diverse groups (this can include, for example, issues addressing redlining and other discrimination practices, and/or relevant policy issues in the real property industry both present and historical)
ARTICLE IDEAS. If you are interested in submitting an article for the Diversity Publication, please submit the following information no later than September 30, 2020:
- Article Title;
- Brief Synopsis: A summary of what the piece will cover; and
- Indication of whether it falls into one of the above three broad categories or can be placed in a different category in the topic of diversity/inclusivity.
- SEPTEMBER 30, 2020. ARTICLE IDEAS SUBMISSION DEADLINE. Submit article ideas to one of the chairs listed below.
- October 30, 2020. AUTHORS NOTIFIED THAT THEIR PIECE HAS BEEN APPROVED.
- NOVEMBER 2020 TO AUGUST 2021. MONTHLY CHECK IN WITH AUTHORS TO DETERMINE PROGRESS
- SEPTEMBER 1, 2021. ARTICLES ARE DUE
CHAIRS. The Chairs for the Diversity Committee are:
Cosmos Eubany, Esq
Realty Income Corporation
Dianne Jackson McLean, Esq
Goldfarb & Lipman LLP
Victor Rocha, Esq
State Compensation Insurance Fund
The Real Property Law Section (“RPLS”), with approximately 6,000 members, is one of the largest sections of the California Lawyers Association. RPLS coordinates educational programs and materials (including through our monthly E-Bulletin and Quarterly Journal) for California’s diverse real estate attorneys, and serves as a forum for communicating information to its members on current developments and trends in real property law. RPLS also provides opportunities to network and develop relationships with lawyers and other professionals in the real estate industry. The RPLS enthusiastically embraces and encourages diversity and inclusion in Section membership, section events and our annual conference.