The Environmental Law Section is a great source of community and collaboration for environmental lawyers in California. This year, I am particularly excited to focus on outreach to reach as many people as possible who practice or are interested (even if they don’t know it yet) in practicing environmental law. Our outreach goals include collaborating with our own ELS members, other CLA sections, affinity bars in California, regional bars in California, and California law schools. We hope these efforts result in many of you feeling welcome to join in our activities and volunteer in the coming year. Here are just a few ways you can get involved:
- Participate in our new ELS Mentorship Program;
- Participate in a virtual Book Club meeting (recommend a book!) or our ELM (Environmental Law Miscellany) get togethers;
- Help plan or just come to one of our many educational programs, including Webinars, the Yosemite Conference, or our Climate Conference this Spring (and suggest topics or speakers for all of these programs);
- Participate in the Legislative Committee;
- Be a judge for the Law Student Negotiations Competition in the Spring, or the Law Student Writing Competition in the Fall;
- Come to one of our social/networking events (both virtual and regional plans are in the works);
- Join one of our standing committees such as DEI, Sustainability, Energy, Law School Outreach, or Membership Outreach; or
- Write an article for a future edition of Environmental Law News.
Even more opportunities to get involved will be posted in the coming months on our website, eNews, and social media. If you have questions about any of these opportunities or are ready to volunteer, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to collaborating with you this year!
Chair, Environmental Law Section