Our next Zoom meeting will be on Wednesday, May 18th at 11:00 AM PT, and thereafter monthly on the third Wednesday of the month at 11:00 a.m.
We intend to discuss the following recent developments during this month’s meeting:
- The Department of Financial Protection and Innovation (DFPI) True Lender Litigation
- DFPI’s first action against rent-to-own company for alleged violations including overcharging late payment fees and failure to provide required disclosures
- Passage of Senate Bill 577, which would reinstate the commercial loan de minimis exemption from the California Financing Law
- The CFPB announcing changes to its examination manual for evaluating UDAAPs, including discriminatory practices as part of the “unfair” prong
- CFPB outlines options to prevent algorithmic bias in home valuations
- CFPB policy on contractual “gag” clauses and fake reviews
- CFPB launched an initiative to eliminate junk fees
We are always looking for topics and speakers for upcoming meetings. If you have an interest, or would like to see us address any specific topic, please reach out to one of the Co-Chairs.
If you would like to join us for our monthly meeting, you can Zoom in using the following information:
Meeting ID: 836 9949 4121
None of the work we do can be done without the continued involvement of our Committee members, who we thank for attending the monthly meetings and making other valuable contributions. We are actively seeking new Committee members and vice-chairs. If you have any interest, or know of anyone who may, please contact John Kimble or Michael Guerrero.
Joining CFSC is simple – you can do it online. We are actively looking for new members, so consider applying on the CLA BLS Standing Committees website. Our members include consumer advocates, law firms and in-house counsel. If you are interested, feel free to contact one of us.