This e-bulletin describes a new publication created by the Attorney General’s Charitable Trusts Section: “Charity Governance During the COVID-19 Pandemic.” This publication’s goal is to inform nonprofit corporations of the California laws that allow them to fulfill some of their governance obligations remotely to adhere to social distancing requirements.
This publication can be found on the Attorney General’s website.
The charitable governance topics include the following:
- Emergency Provision for Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporations
- Notice of director meetings
- Quorum requirements
- Relocation of principal office
- Modification of lines of succession
- Participation in board meetings via conference calls
- Taking Board Action Without a Meeting
- Virtual Meeting of Members of Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporations
- Emergency Provision for Nonprofit Mutual Benefit Corporations
- Emergency Provision for Nonprofit Religious Corporations
- Modification of Endowment Funds to Tackle Emergencies
This e-bulletin was written by Louis E. Michelson, Immediate Past Chair of the Nonprofit Organizations Committee.