Please be advised that on December 4, 2020, the California Secretary of State, Business Program Division circulated the following announcement detailing the temporary suspension of certain corporate services, including expedited and preclearance filing services, and the closure of the Los Angeles Regional office:
Effective December 7, 2020 and continuing through December 2020
Dear Valued BPD Customers and Stakeholders:
As a result of widespread transmission of COVID-19 and the direction of the California Department of Public Health, the Secretary of State is making every attempt to ensure the safety of our customers and employees while still offering essential services to the public.
With these goals in mind, effective Monday, December 7, 2020, our Los Angeles office will be closed, and our Sacramento office will have limited staff in the office.
For fastest service, we encourage you to go online when possible at bizfile.sos.ca.gov for the following online services:
- LLC Formations Online (Domestic LLCs Only)
- LLC Statements of Information Online
- LLC Terminations Online
- Corporation Formations Online (Domestic Stock Corporations Only)
- Corporation Statements of Information Online
- eForms Online for most other filings except mergers and conversions
- Certificates of Status Online
- Trademarks Online
- UCC Online
- Eureka Chatbot for frequently asked questions about business and trademarks
- California Business Search
Effective Monday, December 7, 2020:
- Expedite and Preclearance Services are suspended. Any expedites received Friday, December 4, 2020 or prior will be returned by mail. Everyone is encouraged to use eForms Online or our other online tools
- Lobby Pick-up is suspended. Any documents received Friday, December 4, 2020 or prior will be returned by mail.
- Drop-off Service will continue in the Lobby from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Submissions must include the required filing fee in the form of check or money order only.
- Special Handling fees will be waived, and all documents will be returned by mail.
- The 72-hour rule is suspended.
All documents dropped off in the lobby will be deemed received at 5:00 p.m. on the date dropped off and processed on a first in, first out basis with focus on online submissions followed by drop-off and mail apostilles, conversions, and mergers as these currently cannot be submitted online. For fastest service, utilize our online services. If an online service is not available, you may include a prepaid airway bill and return envelope that we will use to return your documents.
If you or your runners must come into the office because your submissions cannot be submitted online, face coverings which fully cover your mouth and nose must be worn at all times. You also must socially distance by staying at least 6 feet apart from others.
Los Angeles Regional Office
Effective Monday, December 7, 2020:
Our Los Angeles Regional office will be closed effective Monday, December 7, 2020 with no drop-off service. All documents normally submitted to the Los Angeles office must be mailed to the Sacramento office:
Secretary of State
Notary Public Section
1500 11th Street, 2nd Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814
Thank you for your continued cooperation and understanding during this difficult time. For general questions, please call the appropriate section manager or supervisor.
This e-Bulletin was prepared by Marek J. Adamo of Paradigm Counsel, LLP. Mr. Adamo is Vice Chair, Publications and a member of the Corporations Committee of the Business Law Section of the California Lawyers Association.