Public Law Journal: 2017, Vol. 40, No. 3
- California's Racial Identity and Profiling Act Ushers in Sweeping Changes for Law Enforcement
- Demystifying Design-Build Projects—Procurement Tips for Local Agencies
- Four Members Appointed to the Public Law Section Executive Committee
- Litigation & Case Law Update
- Message from the Chair
- Public Law Journal
- Public Law Section
- The Public Law Section Hosts Law Enforcement Use of Force and Liability Conference
- Michael J. Mais Honored as the 2017 Public Lawyer of the Year
Michael J. Mais Honored as the 2017 Public Lawyer of the Year
The Public Law Section named Michael J. Mais, Long Beach Assistant City Attorney, as the 2017 Ronald M. George Public Lawyer of the Year.
Mr. Mais was honored at a reception on August 18, 2017 at the State Bar’s Sections Convention in San Diego. The Public Lawyer of the Year Award recognizes Mr. Mais as an exceptional attorney who has dedicated the past 32 years to public service.
"The selection of Michael Mais as the 2017 Public Lawyer of the Year embodies the ideal public lawyer as one who has dedicated a career to providing advice to his clients on a broad range of legal issues while maintaining his ethics and his sense of humor," said John Appelbaum, Chair of the Public Law Section. "From the seaport to the City’s airport and everything in between, Mike’s career reflects the diversity of legal challenges facing a public lawyer. He has successfully relied upon that experience to serve as mentor and role model to younger attorneys new to the field of public law."
Mr. Mais began his career in the Long Beach City Prosecutor’s office as an attorney in 1979 and has been employed by the Long Beach City Attorney’s office since 1985, where he has served as Assistant City Attorney since 2003. In his current capacity, Mr. Mais oversees all four departments in the Long Beach City Attorney’s office – which include Litigation, Departmental Counsel, Workers’ Compensation, and Harbor – and is well-known for his sound and practical advice to all of his clients.