Public Law Journal: Winter 2020, Vol. 43, No. 1
- 2019-2020 Executive Committee of the Public Law Section
- 2019-2020 Public Law Journal Editorial Board
- California Public Entities' Duty to Light Streets: the Erosion of the Peculiar Condition Exception
- Employee Housing Assistance—Legal Considerations for California Public Agencies
- Litigation & Case Law Update
- Public Lawyer Spotlight: Jerrilyn Malana, Chief Deputy District Attorney, San Diego County District Attorney's Office
- Student Writing Competition Runner-Up Article: the Straight Jacket on Federal Employees' Right to Strike
- Message from the Chair
Message from the Chair
By Alexander M. Calero
Alexander M. Calero is a Senior Counsel at the California Department of Business Oversight and the 2019-2020 Chair of the Public Law Section Executive Committee.
This message comes in the midst of a unique moment of recent history, as most are grappling with the personal and professional ramifications of the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic. Wherever you are, we hope that you are staying safe and maintaining your routines and priorities as much as possible.
For public lawyers, many things are new under the COVID regime, from a continuous stream of Governor’s Orders to abrupt economic changes. One of the more important updates include temporary emergency rules governing the courts. On April 6, 2020, the Judicial Council adopted eleven emergency Rules of Court that further suspend various timelines, allow for remote appearances, and help divert judicial resources to urgent matters. The emergency Rules include suspending entries of default for unlawful detainer actions, suspending judicial foreclosures, adopting a statewide $0 emergency bail schedule for most misdemeanor and lower level felony offenses, prioritizing juvenile dependency and delinquency proceedings, setting a structure for remote hearings and continuances, and suspending statutes of limitations governing civil actions. More information is available on the California Lawyers Association Court Updates page: https://calawyers.org/court-updates/