California Lawyers Association Privacy Notice
The California Lawyers Association is committed to protecting your privacy and maintaining a safe, quality online experience for our members. This Privacy Notice applies to information collected through our website, seminars (both in person and online), conferences, events, and other activities and services (“Offerings”) sponsored by California Lawyers Association (“we,” “us,” or “CLA”) including, without limitation, www.calawyers.org and www.cla.legal and the related pages and subdomains (“Website”). Please read the complete privacy notice below and contact us if you have any questions.
Information CLA Collects
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual.
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an identifiable individual.
If we are required to treat Other Information as Personal Information under applicable law, then we may use and disclose it for the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information as detailed in this Privacy Notice. Additionally, in some instances, we combine Other Information with Personal Information. If we do, we will treat the combined information as Personal Information as long as it is combined.
We collect the following types of information such as:
- Your name
- Company or firm
- Mailing address
- Email address
- Device information
- Browser and Usage information (such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Mac), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version you are using)
- Telephone number
- Payment information (such as credit cards and checks)
- Your profile picture(s)
- Legal practice area
- State Bar Profile data
- Geolocation data
We collect and process these types of Information to provide our services to you. If you do not agree with our policies and practices, your choice is not to use our Website or Offerings because we may not be able to provide you with the full experiences of this Website or all of our services.
We collect your Information from the following sources:
- Through Our Website.
- We collect Personal Information that you provide through our Website, e.g., when you log into your Member Account, access the online community, register for a conference or webinar, respond to forms, surveys, sweepstakes, contests or applications, and through the use of various Offerings or participation in programs or services.
- Through Our Relationship with the State Bar of California.
- When you register with the State Bar of California, they may provide us with certain Personal Information from your State Bar profile (such as State Bar number, contact information, etc.). We will use this Information in accordance with this Privacy Notice. The use of this information by the State Bar is subject to its privacy practices. For more information, please visit http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Privacy-Policy
- Through Information You Provide.
- We may collect Personal Information when you contact us directly, sign up for email communications, or register for our Offerings.
- Through your browser or device when you visit our Website.
- Certain technical information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device.
- When you visit our Website, we collect information automatically through your browser or device by using cookies and similar technologies. Please refer to our Cookies and Web Beacons section below for additional information about these practices.
- From Other Sources.
- We may allow you to share information with third party social media sites (such as Facebook or Twitter). Those social media sites may give us access to certain Personal Information stored by them from your interaction with the online services (e.g., content viewed). You may control the Personal Information you allow us to have access to through the privacy settings on that third-party site. We do not control these third-party websites and are not responsible for their privacy practices. When you leave our Website, we encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website and application you use.
We may use your Personal Information to:
|Why We Use Your Personal Information||Examples of How We Use Your Personal Information||Lawful Basis for Processing Your Personal Information|
|To register you as a new member||To create your member account.||We engage in these activities in the performance of a contract with you.|
|To provide you with marketing materials and to personalize your experience on our Website||To send communications, including announcement for educational seminars, that we believe may be of interest with your consent.To personalize your experience on our Website and other relevant Offerings by presenting products and offers tailored to you, and to facilitate social sharing functionality.||We engage in these activities either with your consent or for our legitimate business interests.|
|To enhance the functionality of our Website and its services and to fulfill your requests.||To respond to your inquiries, fulfill your requests and provide you with related support.To send administrative information to you, such as changes to our terms, conditions and policies.||We engage in these activities to comply with a legal obligation and for our legitimate business interests.|
|To allow you to participate in sweepstakes and other promotions.||To allow you to participate in sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules containing information about how we use and disclose your Personal Information.||We engage in these activities with your consent.|
|To accomplish our business purposes and analyze information.||To aggregate and/or anonymize Personal Information.For our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, enhancing, improving or modifying our Website and Offerings, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our education programs, and operating and expanding our activities.To use IP addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels, geographic location, diagnosing server problems, reporting on Website activities and trends, and administering our Website.||We engage in these activities either to manage our contractual relationship with you, to comply with a legal obligation and/or based on our legitimate business interests.|
You always have the right to “opt out” of receiving communications from us (see Making Communication Choices below).
Information We Share
We will never sell your information to third parties.
We may share your Personal Information in the following ways:
- We may contract with service providers to provide certain services, such as name and address verification, email distribution, customer relationship management, payment processing, eCommerce platform providers, security software providers, fulfillment providers and common carriers, email publishing services, brochure and bulk mailing publishers, marketing and market research, subscriptions management, or promotions management. We provide these service providers with only that information needed for them to render the services we request, and they are bound by contractual obligations to keep such information confidential and only use it for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- From time to time, we may make our mailing list (names, postal addresses and email addresses) and certain site activity available to companies whose products or services we believe will be of interest to you. If you do not want us to share your information for these marketing communications, please notify us immediately in accordance with the Contact Us section below.
We also use and disclose your Personal Information:
- To comply with applicable law and regulations (which may include laws and regulations outside your country of residence).
- To respond to requests from public and government authorities or to cooperate with law enforcement to the extent required by law, including to respond to subpoenas and/or court orders reasonably believed to be valid (which may include authorities outside your country of residence).
- For other legal reasons, such as to enforce our Terms of Service or other agreements with you, and to protect our rights, privacy, safety, or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others.
- In connection with a sale or business transaction (such as any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings). Such third parties may include, for example, an acquiring entity and its advisors).
In addition to the parties listed above, we may also share your Personal Information with:
- Your authorized representatives;
- The State Bar of California;
- Sponsors of promotions, contests, sweepstakes, or surveys; or
- Any of our affiliated groups or entities.
Making Communication Choices
When you register as a member of CLA or sign up for Offerings, you consent to certain communications from us regarding your membership and the transaction and for other promotional or marketing communications for services or Offerings in which we think you may be interested. If you do not wish to be contacted via email, direct mail, or telephone, please let us know your preferences by contacting us (see Contact Us below). Please provide your name, Bar number, company or firm name, mailing address, email address, and/or telephone number so that we may identify you correctly.
You may also unsubscribe from our emails using the link provided in each email. We provide an opt-out option for specific communications as well as a general opt-out for all email marketing communications. If you ask us to remove you from promotional lists, we will maintain your name on a “do not contact” list to ensure that we continue to honor your requests.
For removal from mailing lists, it may take up to ten business days to process your request and, due to the fact that mailings are planned long in advance, 60 days to process your postal mail request.
When you interact with our Website to purchase a webinar or other Offering, we will continue to confirm such transactions via email and, if questions arise concerning your order, we may contact you via email, postal address or telephone number.
If you change your mind about your communication choices, you may start receiving promotional communications from us again by logging onto your online account and changing your preferences, by signing up when you visit our Website, when you enter a contest, sweepstakes, or survey.
Accessing and Changing Your Information
To review or change the information you previously provided, log in to your account on this Website. You may update stored information to manage your email and account information. You may also send a letter or email us at the address listed in the Contact Us section below.
Cookies and Web Beacons
Your web browser offers so-called “cookies” which, if you allow their use, store small amounts of data on your computer when you visit a website. Cookies assist us in tracking which of our features you like best. You have the ability to accept or decline cookies by modifying your browser and our Website is viewable even if you disable the cookie function on your browser. However, if you disable cookies, some advanced and customized features or Offerings will not be available to you.
Some pages on our Website may contain electronic images known as web beacons, which are also called “single-pixel gifs.” These images allow us to count users who have visited those pages and to deliver co-branded services. We may also include web beacons in promotional e-mail messages or newsletters in order to count how many messages have been opened and acted upon. Web beacons are not used to access your Personal Information, but they are a technique we use to compile aggregated statistics about usage on our Website. Web beacons collect only a limited range of information, including the time and date of page view, cookie number and description of the page on which the web beacon resides.
We do not use automated technologies to collect information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or other online services to provide targeted advertising and therefore our Website does not respond to “Do Not Track” requests.
We use a variety of technologies and processes to protect your data. However, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure and we do not guarantee the absolute security of your Personal Information. Any transmission of Personal Information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website or Offerings. To help protect yourself, please use a strong password, do not use the same password to access your account that you use with other accounts or services, and protect your usernames and passwords to help prevent others from accessing your accounts and services.
Also, we will never request your credit card information by email. If you receive an email that appears to be a request from us for Personal Information, do not respond as this may be a “phishing” scam designed to steal your personal information. Email is not a secure means of communication. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us in accordance with the Contact Us section below.
Links to Other Websites
We will retain your Personal Information for as long as needed or permitted in light of the purpose(s) for which it was obtained.
The criteria used to determine our retention periods include: (i) the length of time we have an ongoing relationship with you and provide our Website or Offerings to you (for example, for as long as you have an account with us or keep using our Website or Offerings); (ii) whether there is a legal or business obligation to which we are subject (for example, certain laws require us to keep records of your transactions for a certain period of time before we can delete them); or (iii) whether retention is advisable in light of our legal position (such as in regard to applicable statutes of limitations regulatory investigations, or other legal matters).
Our Website and Offerings are not directed to children under the age of 13 and we do not permit the use of this Website by minors as defined by your local jurisdiction. A child’s parent or guardian should contact us if we have inadvertently collected information about that child without the parent or guardian’s authorization, so that we may delete such information from our files.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
We update this Privacy Notice as we believe is necessary to protect our members and to comply with a changing environment. We recommend that you check the Privacy Notice when you visit our Website to be sure that you are aware of and understand our current Privacy Notice. If we make material changes to this Privacy Notice, or in how we use or collect your Personal Information, we will prominently post a link to such changes at least 10 days prior to implementing the change.
If we make retroactive changes to the Privacy Notice, we will prominently post a link to such changes and we will email affected users at least 10 days prior to implementing the change.
Your continued use of our Website and Offerings following the posting of changes constitutes your acceptance of such changes to our Privacy Notice.
If You Reside in the European Union: Your Data Protection Rights under GDPR
You have certain rights in relation to your Personal Information. These can differ by jurisdiction, but can be summarized in broad terms below:
- The right to access – You have the right to request CLA for copies of your Personal Information. We may charge you a small fee for this service.
- The right to rectification – You have the right to request that CLA correct any Personal Information you believe is inaccurate. You also have the right to request CLA to complete the Personal Information you believe is incomplete.
- The right to erasure – You have the right to request that CLA erase your Personal Information, under certain conditions.
- The right to restrict processing – In limited circumstances, you have the right to request that CLA restrict the processing of your Personal Information.
- The right to object to processing – Under certain circumstances, you have the right to object to CLA’s processing of your Personal Information.
- The right to data portability – You have the right to request that CLA transfer the data that we have collected to another organization, or directly to you, under certain conditions.
If you would like to exercise your rights, please use the contact information provided below under Contact Us. We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your Personal Information or to exercise any of your other rights. This is a security measure to ensure that Personal Information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
Individuals located in the EU have the right to make a complaint at any time to the appropriate EU supervisory authority. We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the supervisory authority, so please contact us in the first instance.
Controller: California Lawyers Association is the controller and is responsible for the Website and Offerings.
Data Privacy Manager Contact Information: We have designated a data privacy manager who is responsible for overseeing questions in relation to these GDPR provisions. If you have any questions about these GDPR provisions, or to exercise your rights, please contact our Data Privacy Manager at the following address:
California Lawyers Association
Attn: Data Privacy Manager
400 Capital Mall, Suite 650
Sacramento, CA 95814
If you are a California resident: Your California Privacy Rights
Under California Civil Code sections 1798.83-1798.84, California residents are entitled to ask us for a notice describing what categories of personal customer information we share with third parties or corporate affiliates for our direct marketing purposes. That notice will identify the categories of information shared and will include a list of the third parties and affiliates with which it was shared, along with their names and addresses. If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this notice, please submit a written request to us (see Contact Us below). In your request, please include your postal address and specify that you want a “Your California Privacy Rights Notice.” Please allow at least 30 days for a response.
To “opt out” or make other choices about receiving communications, to update your Personal Information, or to submit comments or ask questions about our Privacy Notice, please contact us by email, telephone or postal mail:
California Lawyers Association
400 Capital Mall, Suite 650
Sacramento, CA 95814