- This event has passed.
9th Annual Rating Extravaganza
October 8, 2022 @ 8:30 am – 4:00 pm
Earn 6 Hours MCLE credit. Includes 6 Hours in Workers’ Compensation Law
Hilton Marina Del Rey Hilton
13480 Maxella Ave.
Marina del Rey, California, 90292
ONSITE REGISTRATION AVAILABLE!
Apportionment Case Law Update
8:30 AM – 10:00 AM
1.5 Hour MCLE. Includes 1.5 Hour in Workers’ Compensation Law
The Guru of all Gurus on apportionment returns with his latest update on all things apportionment including, but not limited to: Fundamental Analytical Principles; How gender, age & genetics affect the bottom line; Are risk factors risky? What happens to PD levels after a Petition to Reopen is filed; AND the ultimate impact after a Benson spin
Speaker: Ret. Judge Ray Correio, Esq.
Unraveling the Complex World of Rating Psychiatric Injuries
10:10 – 11:10 AM
1 Hour MCLE. Includes 1 Hour in Workers’ Compensation Law
Industrial psychiatric injuries are subject to some of the most complex legislative and regulatory restraints in the entire Permanent Disability Rating system. Two of California’s experts on this topic will walk us through the gambit of how best to analyze these issues to obtain maximum results for your clients.
- Robert Larsen, MD
- LAO Presiding Judge Robert Rassp
Accurate Rating for Permanent Disability of the Spine
11:20 AM – 11:50AM
.5 Hour MCLE. Includes .5 Hour in Workers’ Compensation Law
Back injuries are the most common industrial injury litigated in the California Workers Comp system. DWC Disability Evaluation Unit Rater extraordinaire, Mark Evans, will fill us in on how to accurately rate these injuries. The charts and examples from Chapter 15 “The Spine” will be thoroughly discussed, before he moves on to other viable metrics found within the remaining four corners of the AMA Guides.
Speaker: DEU Rater Mark Evans
Keynote Address with the California Lawyers Association CEO and Executive Director
11:50 AM – 12:05 PM
Exciting news from CLA’s CEO & Executive Director as to the latest and greatest past accomplishments and future goals for our association (which is enthusiastically engaged in providing benefits and service to all of California’s attorneys.)
Speaker: Oyango A. Snell, CEO & Executive Director
Networking Lunch— 12:05 PM – 12:45 PM – Hosted
Litigation of Quirky Rating Issues
12:45 PM – 2:15 PM
1.5 Hours MCLE. Includes 1.5 Hours in Workers’ Compensation Law
Program Description: Straightforward permanent disability cases don’t usually go to trial. It’s the tangled web that’s weaved when parties encounter the various traps for the unwary that require “WCAB” intervention. In this session, attendees will learn how to:
- Nail the Most Accurate PD level with a Bullet Proof Discovery Plan
- Distinguish between VR v. PD Apportionment
- Handle the Rating “ins and outs” of Multiple Date of Injury Cases
- Effectively Negotiate Settlement for Optimum Results
- And much, much, much more …
- Judge Clint Fedderson,
- Kia Myers Holsey, Esq.
Unique Issues of 100% PTD Cases
2:30 PM – 4:00 PM
1.5 Hour MCLE. Includes 1.5 Hours in Workers’ Compensation Law
This team of esteemed panelists will provide an array of navigation tools for litigating potential 100% PD cases. Various rebuttal methods will be addressed including a selection paradigm for how to approach and prepare for the various options. Keys to success on these issues involve how to bullet proof both your medical evidence (including Reg 10682,) as well as your VR evidence (including Reg 10685).
- LAO Presiding Judge Robert Rassp
- Judge Nikki Mehrpoo Jacobson
- Orlando Ruff, Esq.
- Workers’ Compensation Section members – $295
- Non-section members – $390
- Claims specialists – $195
Requests must be received in writing by October 3, 2022. A $50.00 processing fee will be charged for requests received after October 3, 2022. For more information, email ProgramRegistrations@calawyers.org.
For special assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
This event may be recorded. By attending this event, you consent to be photographed, filmed, and/or otherwise recorded, and to any use, by the CLA, of your likeness, voice, and name in any and all media including social media. If you do not want your name or photo to be used, please let us know in advance. We cannot, however, honor requests to opt out of the use of your image or voice if you choose to ask a question during one of the event sessions.
Every attendee must also affirm their commitment to comply with the in-person meeting guidelines and accept the following affirmations during the registration or RSVP process:
- By registering for and attending the meeting or any event related to the meeting, I affirm that I have read and will comply with CDC guidance related to hand sanitation, social distancing, and use of face coverings for my vaccination status. I affirm that I will follow any more stringent state, local, or venue requirements regarding hand sanitation, distancing, or face coverings in place at the location of the meeting at the time of the meeting.
- I will also follow all travel restrictions in place at the location of the meeting and my point of origin at the time of the meeting.
- I will not attend the meeting if I have tested positive for COVID-19, am experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, or have been in close contact with someone who has COVID-19. If at any time I begin to experience symptoms of COVID-19, or am in contact with someone experiencing symptoms, I will immediately leave the meeting and inform CLA.
- If I bring a guest to the meeting or any event related to the meeting, I affirm that I will communicate the above listed requirements to each guest and secure each guest’s agreement to abide by the guidelines for their vaccination status.