The mission of the Trusts and Estates Section is to further the knowledge of practitioners in the areas of trusts and estate laws through educational opportunities, monitor and actively participate in the formation of laws and regulations that impact trusts and estates laws, and represent section members in the governance of the California Lawyers Association.
Who Are We?
The Section was originally formed in 1976 as the Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Section. In 2002, the Section changed its name to the Trusts and Estates Section. Section membership includes more than 6,000 attorneys from Eureka to El Centro with interests and expertise in some or all of our active substantive committees, which include Estate Planning, Taxes, Trust and Estate Administration, Litigation, Incapacity (including Conservatorship, Guardianship, and Elder Law), and Ethics.
Become a player – or at least an informed spectator – in one of the most dynamic sections. Support the work we do monitoring, drafting, and critiquing legislation which affects those areas of the law which have an impact on us as trust and estate practitioners, our clients and the general public.
We encourage Trusts and Estates lawyers to join the Section and work on our various committees. We are an active Section and always need qualified and experienced lawyers to assist in our endeavor of better serving the public and Trusts and Estates practitioners.
- Executive Committee
- Administrative Committees and Substantive Committees
- Official Publication: California Trusts and Estates Quarterly
- Special Projects
- The Annual Fall Program and Stand-Alone Programs throughout the year
- Self-Study and Online Participatory MCLE Credit
The Bill Tracking Page provides a handy way to follow all pending legislative proposals. When you select the Trusts & Estates Matrix, you’ll access all of the pending bills of interest to the Trusts and Estates Section.
- California Trusts and Estates Quarterly includes a regular Litigation Alert! column, as well as updates in case law and other relevant areas.
- New Case Alerts from the Trusts and Estates E-News
- Practitioner Checklist – This checklist outlines what must be done when a Trusts and Estates lawyer dies or becomes disabled and is also an excellent starting point for Trusts and Estates lawyers to review their own procedures.
The Section website, including the members only area, is updated and expanded regularly. Bookmark the page and visit often.
- The California Trusts and Estates Quarterly, which is, without a doubt, the best value in professional periodicals available to the California practitioner. Feature articles and columns of the Quarterly are written by leading authors, practitioners and scholars.
- Access to the Members Only Area
- Discounted educational programs covering what you need to know, are afraid you don’t know, or absolutely must know.
- Legislative alerts from the obvious to the obscure.
- Opportunity to work on our substantive committees and special projects which can make an important difference.
- CEB discount – 10% off a wide selection of publications. Details can be found on the CEB website.
What if You’re Not A Lawyer?
Consider becoming a Subscriber if you are in a Section-related field working as a paralegal, bank trust officer, financial planner, or life underwriter. You may also be interested if you are a lawyer licensed outside of California.
- The California Trusts and Estates Quarterly .
- Access to the Members Only Area
- Notice of Section educational programs, discounted admission fees, and outstanding materials.
- Discounts on Section publications such as the “Guide to the California Rules of Professional Conduct for Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Counsel”.
How to Join?
For information about joining, see join a Section.