The California Lawyers Association Real Property Law Section (“RPLS”) and the RPLS Journal Committee are proud to announce the RPLS Journal Law Student Writing Competition open to all California law students. The California Real Property Journal (“Journal”) is the official publication of the RPLS. The Journal is distributed free to over 6,000 members of the RPLS, has been described as “the flagship of CLA publications,” and is an invaluable resource for the real property practitioner.
The RPLS Journal Law Student Writing Competition is meant to encourage California law students to explore California’s wide array of real property practice areas, and showcase the scholarship of law students interested in real property law.
The Competition Rules:
- Applicants– the RPLS Journal Law Student Writing Competition is open to current students of California accredited law schools.
- Topic – the article must analyze some area of California real property law.
- Format – the article must comply with the “California Real Property Journal Article Style Guide.” The “California Real Property Journal Article Style Guide” is available. Articles must be submitted as a Word document, be between fifteen to thirty pages in length (double spaced), and all citations must be in Harvard “Blue Book” style format.
- Deadline – The article must be submitted to the Journal Editor-in-Chief, Misti M. Schmidt, between 8 a.m. on May 1, 2019 through 5 p.m. on October 1, 2019. Late submissions will not be considered. The winning article will be selected by the Journal Editorial Board by November 22, 2019.
- Evaluation Criteria – the RPLS JournalEditorial Board and the Journal Writing Competition Committee will review all submissions. Submissions will be evaluated on:
- Overall content;
- How well the article addresses an aspect of California real property law;
- Relevance of the subject matter of the article to issues facing California real estate practitioners;
- The quality of legal scholarship; and
- Whether the article complies with the “California Real Property Journal Article Style Guide.”
The RPLS Journal Editorial Board and Journal Writing Competition Committee will select one article that best exemplifies the criteria set forth above.
- Prize – the author of the winning article will receive:
- A complimentary one-year subscription to the CEB Real Property OnLAW library (all CEB Real Property publications, online), a $1295 value;
- $500 cash stipend;
- His/her article published in the Journal;
- Recognition and a plaque at the RPLS Retreat;
- Complimentary registration to the RPLS Retreat;
- One night paid accommodations during the RPLS Retreat; and
- Recognition in the RPLS e-Bulletin.
Inquiries about the writing competition may be made to the RPLS Editor-in-Chief Misti M. Schmidt.