Invitation for Nominations
Each year the Real Property Law Section Executive Committee honors one or more California young lawyers with the Morning Star Award in recognition of that lawyer’s demonstrated early promise in real property practice and dedication of service to the State Bar and the highest ethical standards. The nomination period is now closed.
To be eligible for a Morning Star Award, a nominee, who is an attorney, must meet the following criteria:
- Be a member of the State Bar of California with an exemplary record; and
- Be a member of the California Young Lawyers Association (attorneys who are in their first five years of practice or are 36 years of age or younger are automatically members).
Previous recipients of the Morning Star Award may not be nominated.
The following list of factors, in any combination or singly, may be considered by the Real Property Executive Committee in its selection of the recipient(s) of the Morning Star Award:
- Noteworthy involvement in a project or service to the public, the judiciary, or the profession. The project or service need not be pro bono. The project or service may include work performed in prior years, but should highlight the attorney’s achievements accomplished in the past year;
- Recognition with the legal profession for outstanding lawyering skills while in practice;
- Public speaking or general publication of written work on legal issues;
- Successful involvement with high profile, complex transactions, or litigation; or
- Use of unique approaches to resolving transactional or litigation obstacles.
The honor may be conveyed upon more than one individual.
To nominate an individual(s) for this award, please submit the following:
- Nomination Form
- Nominator’s Statement of Nomination
- Nominee’s Resumé or Biography (indicating the nominee’s principal areas of practice, the number of years of practice, professional achievements, diversity, and other features of his or her career, such as community involvement and bar association activities.)
- Letter(s) of Support are recommended (no more than five)
Selection Process and Award Presentation
The Real Property Section Executive Committee will review the nominations and select the successful award recipient(s). The decision regarding the award recipient(s) will be based on the above criteria or comparable achievements, and the strength of any supporting letters.