2L and 3L Law Students (Recent Grads too!)
The Intellectual Property Section of the California Lawyers Association is looking for 2Ls, 3Ls and recent graduates to serve as IP Section Reporters for 2023. We need your help with programs and with keeping our members up to date on IP-related laws, news and issues.
What You’ll Get
- Behind-the-scenes access to, and complimentary registration for, programs organized by the IP Section
- Opportunity to show your writing and speaking skills to prospective employers
- Opportunity to learn about IP law from distinguished practitioners and judges
- Networking opportunities
What You’ll Do
- Attend the programs for which you have been selected
- Tweet and post in your own social media during assigned programs and events using the #CLA_IP hashtag
- Take and post photographs throughout in-person programs
- Author a short recap article after a program with opportunities to present your recap at an IP Section Interest Group monthly meeting following the program
- Assist speakers
- Interview a panel before a program and tweet/post in social media (if available)
- Create substantive (and fun) IP law videos for distribution in IP Section channels
- Create content for IP Section social media channels
- Serve as a student ambassador for the IP Section
- Other fun and helpful stuff
We will select a pool of reporters from the IP Section Reporter applicants. If you are selected to be part of the pool, we will reach out to you as needed for programs that would benefit from IP Section Reporters. If you are selected for a particular program, the IP Section will cover your registration fees for that program. You will be responsible for travel and lodging (for any in-person programs). Some law schools may offer funding to cover these costs.
- You must be currently enrolled in an ABA or CBE accredited California law school, or be a recent graduate (within 1-2 years of graduation) who is not currently employed. Experience in IP law is a plus.
- You must be a member of the IP Section. Membership in up to three Sections is FREE for law students and first year practicing attorneys. If you aren’t already a member, you can sign up online with Law Student Enrollment Form.
How to Apply: Send an email with the subject line “2023 IP Section Reporter” and include a statement of interest (one paragraph), CV, a short (2-5 page) writing sample, and your Twitter handle (if any) to the CLA IP Section Coordinator, at IP@calawyers.org and copy John Pavolotsky, Program Coordinator, at email@example.com.