The Family Law Section furthers knowledge of our members in all matters relating to family law including, but not limited to, marriage, dissolution, custody and support, community property, adoptions, matrimonial mediation and other matters affecting the rights, privileges, duties and responsibilities to the members of the family. The Section was organized in 1978.
The mission of the Family Law Section is to enhance the practice of Family Law and elevate the standards of the profession by participating in the legislative process, mentoring new practitioners, issuing scholarly publications, and providing legal education across a variety of platforms.
- Family Law News
- Family Law Section eNews and Case Alerts
MCLE Major Events and Programs
In addition to “stand alone” events, participate in the major CLA-wide events, and also in online and self-study education.
- Executive Committee (FLEXCOM)
- Editorial Board
As a member of the Family Law Section, the benefits would include:
- The Rutter Group (“TRG”) & California Family Law Report (“CFLR”):
- CFLR Seminars: $75 discount on each CFLR seminar.
- CFLR products and CFLR publications: 30% discount on each CFLR product, and 30% discount on each CFLR publication purchased by a section member within the 30 days following each CFLR seminar attended. For example, section members may purchase the CFLR DissoMaster™ Suite for only $378, regularly $540.
- Rutter Group seminar: $75 discount for all Rutter Group seminars.
- Rutter Group Practice Guides & publications: 30% discount for all Rutter Group Practice Guides and publications purchased by a section member within the 30 days following each Rutter Group seminar attended. For example, section members may purchase the Rutter Group Family Law Practice Guide for only $406, which is regularly $580.
- Attorney’s BriefCase®:
- Attorney’s BriefCase® software: 20% discount to section members on the initial purchase price of Attorney’s BriefCase® software which is regularly $1,200, a $240 savings.
- BriefCase OnCall™: unlimited free access to BriefCase OnCall™, an online updating service provided through the Attorney’s BriefCase® legal research software. This service provides indexed-summaries for virtually all California family law opinions during the preceding six months including juvenile law, evidence, and pretrial adjudications.
- Week in Brief: free copies of the “Week in Brief” weekly emails provided through BriefCase® OnCall™.
- Family Law Section:
- Family Law Toolkit: This item allows section members to obtain up to 6 MCLE credits, including those in the often difficult subject areas of ethics, bias and substance abuse. This benefit is limited exclusively to section members, and has a $210 value.
- Family Law News subscription: This quarterly publication contains a variety of articles of practical use to attorneys at all levels of experience.
- Family Law ENews bulletins: Unlimited access to Family Law ENews bulletins, which keeps section members timely abreast of statewide developments in family law.
- Trial Objections handout: An easy to use, convenient one page summary for use in court by trial lawyers.
- Access to the members-only portion of the Family Law Section website: This contains valuable information for family lawyers. It provides Internet access to current and past issues of Family Law News, Family Law Case Studies, and to multiple publications of the Family Law Section.
- Webinars: Free or low-cost education programs on cutting-edge family law issues presented by experienced practitioners as webinars so you don’t have to travel to participate.
- Networking: Networking opportunities are made available with family lawyers throughout California through participation in standing committees, and section-sponsored events at State Bar venues.
- Leadership and Service: Leadership and service opportunities are available to section members in standing committees and executive committees. These include opportunities to address pending and newly proposed legislation, and various needs throughout the state.
- Online and self-study MCLE from the Family Law Section: There are hundreds of hours of State Bar of California audio and video MCLE programs available to section members.
To join the Family Law Section, see Join a Section.