Presented by the CLA Real Property Section and the LACBA Real Property Section
Jonathan Club, Downtown LA
545 S Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071
Note: Attendees must adhere to the Jonathan Club dress code: for men – slacks, coat and tie, for women – business suit, pantsuit, coat, blouse, skirt, or slacks.
Thursday, September 26, 2019, 1 p.m. – 5:45 p.m.
Networking reception immediately following
This symposium features three panels comprising prominent California attorneys and industry insiders, who will discuss selected trends and developments in the commercial real estate affecting practitioners today and as well as the future of commercial real estate. Earn 3.75 MCLE credits!
Onsite Registration Available!
Thank You to Our Sponsors
CLA Elite Sponsor
Proudly Supported by Our Co-Sponsoring Bars
- Arab American Lawyers Association of Southern California
- Armenian Bar Association
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Los Angeles County
- Black Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
- California Association of Black Lawyers
- Iranian American Lawyers Association
- Korean American Bar Association of Southern California
- Latina Lawyers Bar Association
- LGBT Bar Association of Los Angeles
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Mexican American Bar Association
- Thai American Bar Association
- The John M. Langston Bar Association
- The Southern California Chinese Lawyers Association
- Vietnamese American Bar Association
1:30 p.m. – 2:45 p.m. | Go West! A Journey to the Western Frontier of Downtown Los Angeles And The Land Of “Oz” (Opportunity Zones)
1.25 Hours MCLE
This distinguished panel of real estate developers, lawyers, professors, and government stakeholders how have been and continue to be at the forefront of development in Downtown Los Angeles will provide the audience insights on the genesis of the vitalization of the West Adams District and the latest legal and economic implications of Opportunity Zones through the prism of their involvement in the West Adams District of Los Angeles.
Speakers: Jeff Weller, Andrew Fogg, Angela Huang and Michael Gonzales, Kate Hirsh
Moderator: Paul Habibi
3 p.m. – 4:15 p.m. | Leasing Live!: Real Time Negotiation of Today’s Cutting Edge Commercial Lease Issues
1.25 Hours MCLE
The panelists will entertain and educate with a spirited negotiation of the latest commerical lease issues in the industry, providing tenant, landlord and lender perspectives. Be prepared for a fast-paced and wide-ranging interchange that will explore the tough issues and provide insight into “market” resolutions that get deals done!
Speakers: Tony Natsis, Esq., Brian Kang, Esq., Pam Westhoff, Esq.
4:30 p.m. – 5:45 p.m. | Real Estate Law and Finance Now
1.25 Hours MCLE
Legal, political, economic and social changes domestically and abroad are transforming the business of real estate finance and the capital markets. Our panel will explore a range of unique issues shaping real estate law and finance now:
- Opportunity Zones legislation, financing OZ development, how lenders are responding to the new laws, who benefits, and other legal implications
- Cannabis regulations, who is lending and who is not, the availability of escrow services and title insurance, current efforts to bank the cannabis industry
- LIBOR – Is there a replacement index yet? Is there a crisis yet? Where things stand today, and where they are heading from a legal and business perspective
- Affordable Housing, financing from the public agency perspective, accomplishments and challenges
- HVCRE – Problem solved? What lenders and borrowers know now from the latest legislation in the absence of new regulations
- CFIUS and inbound foreign investment regulation, spotting the issue for real estate and lending lawyers.
Speakers: Gary Tenzer, Gregg Loubier, Esq., Anne Lanphar, Esq.
Moderator: Sarah Spyksma, Esq.
How to Register
Note: Onsite registration will be available on a first come, first serve basis
- Register Online Here
- Or mail the registration form to: Program Registrations, California Lawyers Association, 400 Capitol Mall, Suite 650, Sacramento, CA 95814
- Or email Program Registrations at ProgramRegistrations@CALawyers.org. In order to email your registration, credit card information is MANDATORY. (Photocopies of checks will NOT be accepted.)
- On-site registration is subject to availability. Call to confirm space availability.
Pricing includes on-site valet parking and hosted cocktail reception
- Real Property Law Section Member – $130.00
- LA County Bar Association Member – $130.00
- Non Member – $170.00
- California Young Lawyers Association – $70
*Prices increase by $20 for onsite registration after September 23, 2019
Requests must be received in writing by September 18, 2019. A $50 processing fee will be charged. Refunds will not be available after September 18, 2019.
For registration information call (916) 516-1757. Telephone registrations will not be accepted. For program content and/or Section information call 1-916-516-1752.
If you are interested in learning more about LACBA’s Real Property Section, please visit their website or call Member Services at (213) 896-6560.
California Lawyers Association is an approved State Bar of California MCLE providers.
This event may be recorded. By attending this event, you consent to be photographed, filmed, and/or otherwise recorded, and to any use, by the CLA, of your likeness, voice, and name in any and all media including social media. If you do not want your name or photo to be used, please let us know in advance. We cannot, however, honor requests to opt out of the use of your image or voice if you choose to ask a question during one of the event sessions.