Preparing for the MCLE Compliance Deadline
ERIC LEDGER, ESQ.
The Minimum Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) compliance deadline for those with last names beginning A-G is February 1, 2016, which is fast approaching. Don’t find yourself on the uncomfortable end of an audit. The general rules for compliance follow:
- Active members of the State Bar are required to complete 25 hours of MCLE every three years.
- Members must fulfill at least one-half of their MCLE requirement with activities approved for "participatory" MCLE credit.
- The maximum number of hours of "self-study" is 12.5.
- Of the 25 hours, 6 hours must be completed in the following special categories, which may be completed as participatory or self-study credit:
- Legal Ethics: 4 hours (required)
- Competence Issues (formerly known as Prevention, Detection and Treatment of Substance Abuse or Mental Illness): 1 hour (required)
- Recognition and Elimination of Bias in the Legal Profession and Society: 1 hour (required)