Ca. Workers' Comp. Quarterly 2021, Vol. 34, No. 3
- A Tale of One Applicant's Claim Against Unfair Debt Collection Practices
- Cumulative Index
- In This Issue
- PTP Medical-Legal Reports: Pay Now, or Pay a Lot More Later
- To Elect or Not to Elect—That Is the Question!
- Vetoed: Apportionment Reform Efforts Fail Once Again
- View from the Incoming Chair
- Workers' Compensation Section 2022-2023 EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE ROSTER
- Is It a Good Mediated Settlement If Everyone Goes Away Unhappy? No!
Is It a Good Mediated Settlement If Everyone Goes Away Unhappy? No!
ROBERT G. HEYWOOD, ESQ.
I’ve been a mediator in over 1,000 workers’ compensation and related cases for over 20 years and have participated in hundreds more as an advocate. During this time, I have occasionally heard attorneys tell their clients something along the lines of, "If everyone goes away unhappy, it’s a good settlement." Even worse, I’ve heard mediators say, "If everyone goes away unhappy, I’ve done my job."