Over 150 California attorneys attended the Annual Appellate and Litigation Summit at LA Live on September 20. Appellate Summit highlights included:
- A conversation with Leondra Kruger, Associate Justice of the California Supreme Court
- A review of issues facing the current U.S. Supreme Court by leading constitutional scholars, UCLA law professor Eugene Volokh and University of Illinois Dean Vikram Amar.
- California Court of Appeal Justices Frank J. Menetrez (Fourth District), Brian M. Hoffstadt and Anne H. Egerton (Second District), and retired Justice Ignazio J. Ruvolo, along with seasoned appellate practitioners presented programs on What is Appealable and When, Handling Evidentiary Issues on Appeal, Keeping Up With Anti-Slapp, and California Supreme Court Practice tips.
- The day closed with an elegant reception for this year’s Appellate Lawyer Hall of Fame recipient, Jon Eisenberg
The Litigation Summit highlights included:
- An insightful Litigator’s Update program that summarized new developments in state and federal courts as well as the California Legislature
- Last year’s Trial Lawyer Hall of Fame inductee Bob Van Nest presented a program on effective opening statements
- Justice Martin Tangeman and Section Executive Committee member Katy Graham presented a program on how to protect your trial record on appeal
- A program by federal and state trial judges on how to effectively manage high-stakes litigation
- A razzle-dazzle program on graphically presenting data, including accident simulations
- A program on effective and ethical digital marketing
Save the date for next year’s Litigation and Appellate Summits on October 9, 2020 in San Francisco.