Saturday-Sunday, February 8-9, 2020
The Cliffs Hotel & Spa
2757 Shell Beach Road
Pismo Beach, CA 93449
Earn up to 12 Hours credit. Includes 6 Hours of Legal Specialization in Family Law.
The Family Law Executive Committee of the California Lawyers Association (FLEXCOM) is pleased to announce it will be hosting the Fourth Annual San Luis Obispo County Minor’s Counsel Training Symposium, in Pismo Beach, California on February 8 and 9, 2020. The program will provide a total of 12 hours MCLE credit, including at least 6 hours of Legal Specialization in Family Law. The symposium will satisfy the annual 8-hour training requirement of Rule 5.242 of the California Rules of Court. Those attorneys needing to satisfy the 12-hour initial training requirement will be able to attend a morning session on February 8 to obtain the additional 4 hours.
For those of you who have previously not attended the San Luis Obispo County Training, past comments and reviews have included the following:
- “I was on the Elkins Taskforce and the way you are training minor’s counsel to be lawyers who use evidence to advance their client’s best interest is exactly what we had in mind with the changes. So, thank you!”
- “I have attended other conferences for minor’s counsel and this one is the crown jewel of conferences. Excellent speakers, topics and materials. Thank you!!!”
- “Amazing seminar! Great, informative and enjoyable speakers. Couldn’t have picked a better location. And extremely well organized.”
- “Thank you so much for putting this training course on at the Central Coast. It is, by far, the best training I have been to.”
It is expected that the 2020 will continue the standard set in previous years. We hope you can join us for the event.
Moderator: Stephen D. Hamilton, CFLS and FLEXCOM Immediate Past Chair
- The Honorable Mark Juhas, Los Angeles County Superior Court
- The Honorable Erin Childs, San Luis Obispo County Superior Court
- Robert Simon, Ph.D.
- Stephen D. Hamilton, CFLS and FLEXCOM Immediate Past Chair
- Gregory F. Gillet, Attorney at Law
|8:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.||Requirements, Rights & Duties of Minor’s Counsel||Stephen D. Hamilton|
|9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.||Obtaining Records and Information from Health and Mental Health Providers||Gregory Gillett|
|10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.||Preferences and Counsel’s Obligations under Fam. Code §3042.||Stephen D. Hamilton|
|11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.||Ten Problems for Minor’s Counsel and What to Do About Them||Hon. Erin Childs|
|1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.||What Your Bench Officer Wants You to Know & What Your Bench Officer Needs to Know||Hon. Erin Childs|
|2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.||Minor’s Counsel Tips, Timeline & Practice||Gregory F. Gillett|
|3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.||Implicit Bias and Minor’s Counsel – Being Aware of Your Approach to Your Client||Hon. Mark Juhas|
|4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.||Noticing and Taking Depositions as Minor’s Counsel||Hon. Mark Juhas & Stephen D. Hamilton|
|9 a.m. – 10 a.m.||Requesting, Setting and Enforcing Attorney Fees as Minor’s Counsel||Stephen D. Hamilton|
|10 a.m. – 11 a.m.||Addressing your client’s Mental Health Issues as Minor’s Counsel||Robert A. Simon, Ph.D.|
|11 a.m. – 12 p.m.||Cal. Evid. Code Section 730 Evaluations and the Role of Minor’s Counsel||Robert A. Simon, Ph.D.|
|12 p.m. – 1 p.m.||Questions and Answers with Panel regarding Role and Responsibilities of Minor’s Counsel||Presenters Panel|
How to Register
- Register Online Here
- Mail the registration form to: Program Registrations, California Lawyers Association, 400 Capitol Mall, Suite 650, Sacramento, CA 95814
- Email Program Registrations at ProgramRegistrations@CALawyers.org. In order to email your registration, credit card information is MANDATORY. (Photocopies of checks will NOT be accepted.)
- Walk-in: Onsite registration will be on a space available basis. Call to confirm space availability.
- $325.00 if paid by 1/15/20
- $375.00 thereafter
The deadline to pre-register is February 1, 2020. If you register and are unable to attend, all program materials will be provided to you electronically.
Due to the limited space available, refunds will not be given. However, if you register and are unable to attend, all program materials will be provided to you electronically.
For special assistance, please call (916) 516-1745.
For registration information call (916) 516-1757. Telephone registrations will not be accepted. For program content and/or Section information call (916) 516-1745.
California Lawyer’s Association is an approved State Bar of California MCLE provider.