Wednesday, October 25, 2023
GSI Kickoff Reception | 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Location: Harborview Restaurant & Bar
Address: 4 Embarcadero Center, Street Level, San Francisco, CA 94111
New Lawyer Awards Presentation
Thursday, October 26, 2023
33rd Annual Golden State Antitrust & Unfair Competition Law Institute | 7:30 A.M. – 5:30 P.M.
Location: Julia Morgan Ballroom
Address: Merchants Exchange Building
465 California Street, Banking Hall (First Floor), San Francisco, CA 94104
Registration | Opens at 7:30 A.M.
Sponsored by: Huntington Bancshares, Inc.
Breakfast | 7:30 A.M. – 8:30 A.M.
Sponsored by: The Analysis Group
Recent Developments in Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law | 8:30 A.M. – 9:45 A.M.
MCLE: 1.25 Hours
Our expert panelists present an overview of important California and federal developments in antitrust and unfair competition law.
- Ryan Sandrock, Shook Hardy & Bacon LLP
- Colleen Huschke, Deputy District Attorney San Diego County District Attorney’s Office
- Kate Patchen, Covington & Burling LLP
- Anne Davis, Partner Bleichmar Fonti & Auld LLP
Break | 9:45 A.M. – 10:00 A.M.
Sponsored by: Cornerstone Research
Big Stakes Trial: Federal Trade Commission v. Meta Platforms, Inc., et al. | 10:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M.
MCLE: 1.0 Hour
This event features a panel of esteemed trial attorneys involved in the U.S.Federal Trade Commission’s federal lawsuitseeking a preliminary injunction to block Meta’s acquisition of Within, the developer of a popular virtual reality fitnessapp called Supernatural. Hear about the course of the seven-day evidentiary hearing beforeNorthern District JudgeEdward J. Davila and the parties’ takeaways.
- Bambo Obaro, Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- Jeanine Balbach, General Attorney, Federal Trade Commission
- Timothy Singer, General Attorney, Federal Trade Commission
- Charles Loughlin, Hogan Lovells
- Jessica Leal, Attorney, United States Department of Justice
Break | 11:00 A.M. – 11:15 P.M.
Sponsored by: applEcon, LLC
Revision and Reform of California’s State Antitrust Laws | 11:15 A.M. – 12:15 P.M.
MCLE: 1.0 Hour
A panel of four professors, enforcers and highly experienced antitrust practitioners will discuss the review and possible evision of California’s state antitrust laws that was mandated by the California legislature’s ACR 95. Discussions will include possible amendments addressing unilateral conduct, mergers and acquisitions, big tech companies, exemptions, predatory pricing, and abuse of dominance.
- Josh Davis, Berger Montague and UC Law San Francisco
- Kathleen Foote, State of California Department of Justice, California Attorney General (retired)
- Sam Miller, Sidley Austin (retired) and UC Law San Francisco
- Aaron Chiu, Latham & Watkins LLP
- Cheryl Johnson, State of California Department of Justice, California Attorney General (retired)
Lunch | 12:15 P.M.– 1:30 P.M.
Sponsored by: NERA
Special Keynote Speaker: A Conversation with Leadership at the Antitrust Division | 12:45 P.M.– 1:30 P.M.
- Manish Kumar, Deputy Assistant Attorney General, for Criminal Enforcement, United States Department of Justice, Antitrust Division
- Hetal Doshi, Deputy Assistant Attorney General, for Litigation, Antitrust Division, United States Department of Justice, Antitrust Division
- Belinda Lee, Latham & Watkins LLP
Break | 1:30 P.M. – 1:45 P.M.
Sponsored by: OSKR, LLC
The Implications of Artificial Intelligence and Competition Law | 1:45 P.M. – 2:45 P.M.
MCLE: 1.0 Hour
A panel of distinguished speakers will discuss the critical issues that arise from the application of antitrust law to the useof artificial intelligence. This is an area of growing importance as government enforcers and plaintiffs’ lawyers arestarting to take concrete steps to address issues. The panel will discuss the prospects of this new frontier of antitrustenforcement.
- Robert J. Herrington, Greenberg Traurig, LLP
- John Newman, Deputy Director, Bureau of Competition, Federal Trade Commission and University of Miami School of Law
- Karen Silverman, The Cantellus Group
- Joseph Saveri, Joseph Saveri Law Firm
- Lin Kahn, Jones Day
Break | 2:45 P.M. – 3:00 P.M.
Sponsored by: The Brattle Group, Inc.
Antitrust Ethics in Action | 3:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M.
MCLE: 1.0 Hour Legal Ethics
Zealous advocacy when nearing professional ethical restraints is an art requiring an understanding of the rules, strategic goals and common sense. Experienced antitrust lawyers will illustrate through lively debate and discussion ways to think through ethical and strategic considerations and how to stay on the right side of the ethical line in four different yet common litigation scenarios.
- Qianwei Fu, Zelle LLP
- Adam Wolfson, Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
- Minna Lo Naranjo, Morgan Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Lin Chan, Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP
- Stephen McIntyre, O’Melveny & Myers LLP
- Christopher S. Yates, Latham & Watkins LLP
- Rachel S. Brass, Gibson Dunn & Crutcher, LLP
- Cora Allen, Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
- Kenneth R. O’Rourke, Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
Break | 4:00 P.M. – 4:15 P.M.
Sponsored by: US Legal
2023-2024 Antitrust & Unfair Competition Law Section Remarks | 4:15 P.M. – 4:30 P.M.
- Section Chair Aaron Sheanin, Trial Attorney, United States Department of Justice
- Section Inclusion and Diversity Fellow Catalina Martinez-Baenen, 2L – UC Davis School of Law
Judges Panel: Managing Complex Antitrust and Unfair Competition Litigation | 4:30 P.M. – 5:30 P.M.
MCLE: 1.0 Hour
Three experienced judges from the Northern District of California will discuss complex case management and best trial practices for antitrust and unfair competition litigation.
- Hon. Edward Chen, United States District Judge for the Northern District of California
- Hon. Thomas Hixson, United States Magistrate Judge for the Northern District of California
- Hon. Trina L. Thompson, United States District Judge for the Northern District of California
- Beatriz Mejia, Cooley LLP
Sponsored by: Angeion Group
Antitrust Lawyer of the Year | 5:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m
Date: Thursday, October 26, 2023
Time: 5:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
Locations: First Floor & Julia Morgan Ballroom
Address: Merchants Exchange Building, 465 California Street, San Francisco
Hosted Cocktail Reception | 5:30 p.m. – 7:15 p.m.
First Floor, Merchants Exchange Building
465 California Street, First Floor, San Francisco
Sponsored by: Rust Consulting
Antitrust Lawyer of the Year Dinner and Award Ceremony Honoring Bonny E. Sweeney | 7:30 P.M. – 9:30 P.M.
Julia Morgan Ballroom
Merchants Exchange Building
465 California Street, Banking Hall (First Floor), San Francisco